Thursday 16 November 2017

Home Is A Question Mark

When I was about 11 years old, I found myself wandering around a small Canadian seaside town mostly known for its abundance of geriatrics and rain showers, and randomly came across a palmist. She was seated outside on the pavement, at a rickety table dressed with kitsch thrift store throwaway fabrics billowing in the breeze.  For ten dollars she would divulge my entire future - and as my pessimism had not yet entered its suffocating stage, I couldn't wait to hear what she had to say.  With my young hand in her gnarly aging one, she traced the teensy lines criss-crossing my palm and revealed their cryptic messages, only two of which I now remember: that in my 20's and 30's a lot of people would move in and out of my life, and a fairly nonchalant, "you'll probably almost die in your 40's because there is, as you see, this gap in your lifeline." She reassured me that I probably wouldn't actually die... just almost.

While fascinating and somewhat romantic, I've never completely believed in mystical things like palmistry and fortune telling, because, like horoscopes, they play off vagaries that are easy to line up; however - so far - the palmist was certainly correct in that I would meet a lot of people. Travelling allows you to meet people from all over the world, and particularly with touring to see Morrissey, it doesn't take long to make friends from various countries and continents, because we see each other in queues or at gigs quite often. Yes, we are all different, but at our core we share the same love.  It strikes me that in my mid to late 30's, these moments, with these people, are by far my best.

As it is with travel, it's also true that technology allows you to meet countless people - especially via social media. The Internet is tricky, however, because sincerity and intentions can be more difficult to gauge, when they are behind the anonymous shield of a computer screen. I realize sitting here that I've been having trouble extracting my thoughts and feelings from my mind and into writing, because, quite bluntly, social media has f*cked me up.  Perhaps naively, or mistakenly, I've historically found the Internet a place to fling my thoughts out, almost as if it were my own personal journal, because in my hometown, I usually play a role that is not really me...
Openly wearing your heart on your sleeve means it can get caught and snagged now and then; the trick is to make sure it doesn't entirely unravel.

For now, I'm in my rainy doldrum hometown, waiting to go back on the road to a few more Morrissey concerts...

It's an exciting time to be Moz lover, with the release of his new album Low In High School this weekend and upcoming tour dates in the US, UK, Ireland, and Mexico. Since the last time I wrote (I should say blogged, but it's such an ugly word) Morrissey has released a music video for lead single Spent The Day In Bed, featuring avant-garde performance artist David Hoyle, as well as footballer Joey Barton, who pushes a sparkly-sweatered Morrissey around in a wheelchair; does the wheelchair symbolize the confines of the music industry, or does it symbolize that he feels freest while singing, or something entirely different?  Moz has also released singles I Wish You Lonely and Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On Stage, and is featured in an interview about his upcoming album in Billboard.

US tour includes 2 nights at the Hollywood Bowl
Via farkomalarco on Instagram

Video for Spent The Day In Bed

Jesse Tobias pushes Moz around in a wheelchair
in Spent The Day In Bed
Photo via lowinhighschoomorrissey on Instagram

At the time of writing, Morrissey has appeared live in Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, and 2 shows at the Hollywood Bowl, all of which I have been lucky enough to attend (glamorous legend Sophia Loren was in attendance in Hollywood!) ... and tonight, he sings in Tempe Arizona.

In Los Angeles, November 10th was declared Morrissey Day, and Monica Rodriguez, of LA city council presented Moz with a certificate backstage before the first Hollywood Bowl concert. It truly did feel magical walking down the sunny palm-lined LA streets in my Morrissey t-shirt that day, and while for many of us, everyday is like Morrissey Day, having him honoured in such a way made our hearts swell.

Beautiful words from the LA Mayor:

"Los Angeles embraces individuality, compassion, and creativity, and Morrissey expresses those values in a way that moves Angelenos of all ages... Morrissey Day celebrates an artist whose music has captivated and inspired generations of people who may not always fit in - because they were born to stand out." - Mayor Eric Garcetti via LA TIMES.com


Happy Morrissey Day!
Photo via lowinhighschoolmorrissey on Instagram


I've been scribbling my own personal memories down from the last few weeks, and as I'm due to go travelling again so soon, I thought for now I would share some personal highlights, or snapshots, from the concerts and my travels so far:


Portland, October 31st:

A friend and I decide to wear Halloween costumes - both of us are cats. A few hours before the concert, sitting on the pavement outside of the venue, a dog becomes very confused by us, ONLY us, as we appear to be human, yet have cat ears...
It's exciting to see Morrissey sing songs from his new album for the first time in such an ornate, intimate venue as the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland. As our elbows are propped against the cool polished wood of the stage... I notice a tenor saxophone and wonder what Boz has up his sleeve: it turns out to be I Started Something I Couldn't Finish, played live for the first time EVER - exquisite! As I witness Home Is A Question Mark live for the first time, I am touched by how moving its melancholic minor chords and longing lyrics are.  I learn from my fellow cat-eared friend a few days later that my faulty stage attempt (my legs gave way as soon as I hauled myself up) is mentioned in Billboard - and I'm described as a "daring young woman"; as I consider myself  neither daring nor young, this inspires a slightly flattered giggle.


Morrissey and Jesse Tobias in Portland

Boz and Mando in front of the backdrop for When
You Open Your Legs

Crash Into My Arms

It's always cool to see yourself in a photo with Moz:
at Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland.
Photo via Morrisseyofficial Facebook



Seattle, November 2nd:

Seattle is cold - and I'm the wimpiest Canadian ever, queuing under 2 blankets while wearing 2 coats. I meet a fellow fan from Australia, and we sneak into a nearby hotel to 'borrow' their fireplace a few times... The Paramount Theatre is stunning with high ceilings and glittering chandeliers, and all the freezing becomes worthwhile as I snag a spot near centre barrier.  My Love, I'd Do Anything For You is added to the setlist with its pounding, booming rhythms and powerful vocals. For the encore, my exhilaration nearly soars into the stars as Morrissey walks out in the sparkly jacket he wore in Mexico earlier this year.  He shakes my hand and now my heart is full.

THE sparkly jacket <3

San Francisco, November 4th:

Snow is rare in Seattle at this time of year - and an unexpected snowfall grounds and delays numerous flights at the airport.  I'm desperate to get to San Francisco to see my dearest love, and on a side note also because I've heard there's a fantastic vegan sushi restaurant. At least our flight isn't cancelled, although we need to be de-iced and are subsequently left gateless for an hour on the tarmac upon landing in San Francisco. The sushi is a write-off, but I could care less because I've made it to California. We queue early in the morning, and thanks to very kind security, our entrance to the multi-doored Masonic goes much smoother than the chaos of 2015.

When Morrissey walks out - I can barely believe my eyes - he is wearing a cardigan. Seeing Morrissey sing live while wearing a cardigan is a dream come true for me and I'm glad I have the barrier to hang onto, because I could nearly faint from joy!  The setlist for San Fran includes Your Arsenal's Glamorous Glue (apparently the first time its been played since 1992) and our continent's first live taste of Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On Stage.

Morrissey wearing a cardigan in San Francisco
Photo by @mischievousnose on Twitter

Early the next morning we will drive on to Paso Robles, but I'm too excited - and hungry - to sleep. Luckily, DNA Pizza in San Francisco boasts a vegan pizza called "The Morrissey":




Paso Robles:

While the concert in Paso Robles was not meant to be this time around (trust me it was FREEZING...) it turns out there are some pretty nifty wineries in the area. I decided Sculpterra winery was the one for me, because, upon arrival, you are greeted by a 14-ft tall cat sculpture weighing in at 17,000 pounds. I don't know how I could be more sold on anything if I tried.  The winery is also home to a number of cats, and their caregiver introduces us to them after our tasting. The vineyard's feline elder seems to be around 20 years old, and is one part tough, wizened street cat and one part snuggle-pie.

Giant Cat Sculpture, "Golden Morning" in Paso Robles

Winery cats


Hollywood Bowl November 10th:

The night before the concert we check out Crumbs and Whiskers Cat Cafe (my 2nd time visiting) and Mozzer's beloved Cat and Fiddle (the first time for me, as its original location had already been closed on my last few LA visits).  It's also my first time at the Hollywood Bowl: the venue is huge, and its seashell-stage and hillside seats evoke a sense of old-Hollywood nostalgia.  I've never seen Billy Idol live before, and he's a bleached-blonde ball of energy - and while I'm not familiar with his entire setlist, he's a great, fiery opener. Now for Moz... a rush and a push towards the stage as he walks out - his voice is spectacular and so is the band... yet on a personal note, this concert is a little stressful for me because the venue is a tad rigid about where people are standing in the pit, or pool as it's called. The band is decked out in black berets and "Who Will Protect Us From The Police?" tees, and Morrissey wears a grey-pinstriped suit with a little yellow butterfly stitched on the sleeve.  For the encore, Moz wears the glittery jacket, and I'm overjoyed for my friend, a longtime devoted Morrissey fan, who catches it at the end of the concert - all in one  incense-scented piece. After a late-night stop on Sunset for vegan Thai food in a restaurant complete with mannequins and artfully haphazard graffiti, we are ready to do it all over again the next day.

The Cat and Fiddle!

Hooray for Hollywood!

Morrissey and Jesse in Hollywood

Handsome Devil

Restaurant mannequin


Hollywood Bowl November 11th:

With this concert, the Western portion of the tour for me comes to an end. Feeling a touch of gloominess in the midst of my excitement, I throw back a few glasses of Pinot Grigio pre-gig, which I almost never do.  Upon entry to the Bowl,we are again told to keep near our seats, which I'm generally not-so-used-to... as I usually attend GA concerts.  Still, I'm surrounded by friends, in Hollywood, watching Morrissey - and loving every moment. The beautiful surprise of I'm Not Sorry moves me to near tears, and his voice is filled with emotion as the lyrics that have traced their marks upon our hearts since Quarry grace our ears.

The encore is Let Me Kiss You and Glamorous Glue - and at the end of Glamorous Glue, Morrissey makes one last move towards the very side of the stage. Back in the 3rd row, well over to the side, I've not been very close to him tonight and hardly dream I could get closer, as we are sectioned off from the front pit - yet - I see a gap of light in the flailing bodies of both fans and security ... almost a clear path towards him... and I run up - and he reaches out and I manage to touch him.  It's an unexpected moment of pure joy.

Let Me Kiss You

As humans, we exist in many spheres, and in this sense, among others, it is hard to find 'home.' At least for some of us it feels that way - a constant gnawing for something, or someone that speaks to us. Is home the terrifically noisy suite in which I live? Is home something not tangible, the thoughts and feelings I extend out into the world during the times I feel able to express myself? Is home my body or inner thoughts? Lately for me, I feel most at home when I'm travelling with my friends to see Morrissey.



All photos by me unless specified.

PLACES TO CHECK OUT ON THE WEST COAST:


Sculpterra Winery - wine and cats!
San Diego Cat Cafe - rescues and adopts cats
Kindred (cool vegan restaurant in San Diego - plays metal music) 
Crumbs and Whiskers Cat Cafe LA - Hollywood cat cafe
The Cat and Fiddle - pub in LA, a Moz fan favourite 
Toi on Sunset (Thai food, cool atmosphere, MANNEQUINS, vegan options)
Donut Friend - best donuts and all vegan - includes the SMorrissey
Cinnaholic - vegan cinnamon buns - customized
DNA Pizza - San Francisco - features vegan pizza named after Morrissey

No comments:

Post a Comment